(BF2) Base Rape / Spawn Camping

The place to meet and greet the Factor 8 community!
Cantina Fly =8=
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

(BF2) Base Rape / Spawn Camping

Postby Cantina Fly =8= » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:03 pm

I saw a thread about this over on the planetbattlefield forums and read through most of it, but I wanted to see how you folks view it (Mostly since I'm trying to get a flavor for how you play.)

If you don't know, it's hanging around the other team's UCB (UnCapturable Base.) Blowing up vehicles as soon as they spawn and generally slaughtering people.

The opinions ranged from:

1.) Anything the game allows you to do is fair game, deal with it.

2.) This is totally unacceptable and unfair, if you're any kind of sportsman, you won't do it.

3.) It's only OK if you mean Spec Ops going in to blow up the commander's assets or kill engineers trying to fix them.

4.) It's a valid tactic if you control the rest of the map, but if someone slips out and takes another flag, you break off and resume normal play.

Myself? I'd say I'm somewhere between 3 & 4. I've spent a few good games hanging around blowing up artillery, UAV, etc... but I haven't gone so far as to booby trap enemy vehicles. In a recent 32-player game on Dalian Plant, I was playing Chinese and during the first round was subject to a relentless attack on our base, we lost the round by a fair margin. Then the next round we came back and did the same thing to the USMC as they took the northern most beach flag and we pounded them from two sides.

My overall opinion on the tactic is kind of mixed. It sucked to be on the recieving end, but then everyone was running around like a chicken with their head cut off instead of working together to try and make a break out somewhere. And the few times people did slip out, they almost always capped a flag as most of the other team was at our base. But the USMC always had a floating squad to come in and retake the flag and kill you before half your team could respawn there. On the other end of the stick, it was a lot of fun to be the one slaughtering, and they did eventually fight their way out of it, but the tickets were stacked in our favor by then.

So, what's your take on it :?:
Roach9119 =8=
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Roach9119 =8= » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:27 am

We generaly have never thought highly of spawn killing. It's kind of an unwritten law for us. If I were to pick I think I would go for 3-4 also.
W@rl(0)K
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby W@rl(0)K » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:49 am

Even though I dont play BF2. I'm gonna go with 2. It's the exact reason I dont play TDM in UT2K4. ANY game that uses spawn raping as a legit tactic, I want no part of.
Draser
Cadet
Cadet

Postby Draser » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:36 am

For a game that allows blowing up the commander's assets, I would have to go with #3 just because that is where the radar, artillery, etc. are located. But as a general rule of thumb in any games our guild play, we do not "hang" out at the other's team base just to get easy kills.
StuDaBaker =8=
Round Table
Round Table

Postby StuDaBaker =8= » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:17 pm

I don't have BF2 yet myself, but I feel that if there is an objective there, then fine, but I generally feel the same way as Warlok and would probably choose #2. Uncool to take guys out as they spawn in.
Montagu
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Montagu » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:53 pm

In BF2, the issue is more pronounced in some maps. In others, there is no advantage to doing the base camping. What is more of an issue is the lack of teamwork that allows this. IMO why I want to play with friends that play well and coordinated.
Monty
Factor VIII Contingency

Being able to kill friends and then taunt them on TS... Priceless!
Whiplash =8=
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Whiplash =8= » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Spawn camping is not cool. That said, there are some maps where an Objective is very near a spawn point (Moscow Highway in RO comes to mind). In that case, do what you gotta do for the Objective, then bug out...
Xbox: WhiplashVIII - Origin: Nomadopa - Steam: WhiplashVIII - Uplay: Whiplash.VIII - Battletag: Whiplash#12268
ArcAngyl =8=
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby ArcAngyl =8= » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:29 pm

I have to agree with Whip on that, the map really dictates the ebb and flow of the game play and what tactics you have to employ in order to meet the objectives.

Adly enough there are enough people that take pleaseure in playing in a less than honorable way. We just make sure they dont come to our house to visit, at least for very long anyway. ;)
http://www.circle13graphics.com
[email="arcangyl@factor8guild.com"]arcangyl@factor8guild.com[/email]
"Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad."
-Salvador Dali
Deemo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Deemo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm

I personally dont do it, but dont mind if someone else wants too, I feel like there are plus's and minus's to that tactic. If they are all in our spawn getting easy kills, then they cant be where they should be.......protecting there assests. So more power to them, just makes it easier for me to get some flag caps. :)

doesnt mean I wont curse like a Sailor untill I do escape the spawn area though.
imported_SlayerDragonVIII

Postby imported_SlayerDragonVIII » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:51 pm

Camping the UCB in BF2 is pretty lame, but I don't see it too often other than people taking out the commander's assets and then bugging out. I've actually had more problems with retards on my team mining the airstrip or the exits from the base.

Return to “Public General Discussion”