A Hole Man

The place to meet and greet the Factor 8 community!
Anonymous

A Hole Man

Postby Anonymous » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:00 pm

I wrote this for my mother on her birthday this year. With it was a little wooden figure of the Hole Man....

A Hole Man
By
Justin Hunter Blake I

<DD>John rolled over in bed that night. His mind would not let him sleep as it raced, searching, looking for something that seemed to be missing from his life. He shut his eyes tightly and tried to calm his thoughts. His fists clenched the sheets tightly betraying his cool. He leaned up and straightened his pillow for yet another time, and fell back on it again. A loud sigh escaped his lips as he wondered what his problem was. He had not been able to sleep for almost a week and it was beginning to affect his daily life. He glanced over to the clock and sighed again. His mind still danced trying to uncover the answer in the fog that it sought.
<DD>He drifted into a fitful dream where he was covered by the same dense fog that had clouded his mind. He reached out, trying to find his way, but his fingers only closed on the thick white air as it slipped away. He continued to walk slowly, trying to feel his way along. As he continued, the dense mist began to thin a bit and in the distance he began to see a light. His pace increased as he stumbled forward longing for release from the deafening fog.
<DD>John’s eyes strained to see a man sitting alone on a sandy beach in the distance. He yelled to the man, trying to get his attention as he ran towards him. He drew near to the man and noticed that he was sitting in what his yoga instructor had called a “lotus position”. The man was surrounded by many items; to his right was a large pile of money, to his left was a large expensive car, behind him was a movie poster showing the man in a war setting, in the distance a large house stood with its doors open invitingly.
As John drew nearer, the man looked up at John and raised his hand, palm up. John looked at him briefly and then back to the poster.
<DD>“Is this you?” he asked the sitting man. The man nodded and continued to look longingly at John. John turned from the poster and noticed that the man was missing the lower half of his torso.
<DD>“Jesus! You are hurt! I’ll go for an ambulance!” John turned to go for help, but the man caught his sleeve and stopped him. He shook his head to tell John not to go. The man raised his hand again, palm up to John.
<DD>“You want something from me?” The man nodded his response. “But you have all this stuff! You have more money than I have ever seen, you have a beautiful house and car, and you are famous and star in movies! What do you, of all people, need?”
<DD>The man lowered his hand to the earth and drew out four letters in the moist sand.
L O V E

<DD>John shot up in bed, soaked in sweat…and alone.

</p>

Return to “Public General Discussion”